Wednesday, May 4, 2011

How do I start organizing all my Family History "Stuff" I have?

How many times have you wanted to get the important  "stuff" that you have accumulated over the years together, but feel so over-whelmed and frustrated that you just cant seem to ever get started?
Well, I am here to help you!

You will need a pencil and paper to write down you first assignment. YES, an assignment! and many more to come, so lets get started.
1. If you have never done any kind of Family History or Genealogy work before, then I want you to pick up your pencil and paper right now and make a list of everyone in your family that you can think of, and jot down the following information:

     a. Your full given name, birth date, and  place where you were born. (Town, County, State, Country)
     b. Your  Father, Mother, brother's and sister's, full given name, birth date, and place, same as above.  

Now, don't get upset if all you can remember is YOUR  information, and maybe part of your parents information. Just know, you will be spending a lot of time with me. I am patient and can take as much time as you need to get this project done. OK? Just do what you can and get back with me.

2. If you already have started doing Genealogy/Family History but you are to a point where you just cant
   keep it in any kind of order that makes sense anymore then I want YOU to stop what you are doing and
   gather up as many pedigree charts and group sheets you can find in your house & put them in a pile.
   Yes, as many as you can find. Big chore, but I know you can do it. It's the only way you can      
   successfully organize what you have.

I hope to hear from all of you soon, I want to know how you are doing.

1 comment: